Monday, September 20, 2010

Memory Monday

Now that I've designated Friday as Favorite Photo of the Week Day, I've decided that Monday is going to be Memory Monday...not that I need to theme every single day...my hope is that this will prompt me to blog on those days with items that will be fun to look back on that I may have never added to the blog otherwise.  For me, I want this blog to be a place to catalog our daily lives moving forward, but also to share memories & photos from the past so that they aren't forgotten over time. 


For my first Memory Monday, I found this "Mommy Note" that I wrote to Holden in June of last year (2009)...it's a long one so grab a cup of coffee and get comfortable:

To My Holden,


A few days ago your father looked at me and said "our lives are so much better now with Holden".  We both looked at you and realized how very true that is.  You are just the most amazing presence in our lives and we are very grateful that we had you.



As I write this you are 3 1/2 months old.  You are such a smiler, even when you are crying we can (usually) get you to stop and smile.  Your dad and I have had such a wonderful time these past few months watching you grow and learn and figure things out.



Everyday we are amazed that we created you...and how darn cute you are.  We can't get over how adorable you are and how every single thing you do is cute.



We were so lucky that both your dad and I could be home with you for your first few months of life, and now I'm back to work but your daddy is still home with you.  He has so much fun being home with you.



You love your playmat that goes on the floor and you like to lay on it and look up at the toys hanging down, and you especially love to kick your feet at "Mr. Sun" (it makes noises).  You kick kick kick the whole time you are laying on it.  We flip you over for "tummy time" but you do not like that as much.  But, you are doing an amazing job lifting up your head.  One day you just started lifting it high off the ground and looking around, where as you used to just lay your head down and sleep!  We were so proud of you!!



You also love your bouncy seat that we brought home from Meme's on our last visit (your daddy calls it a sling pod) - you just kick your feet and bang them down hard to make the lights & music turn on.  For such a young age you figured out quickly how to make it work.



You've already been on two trips to Wisconsin - We took you when you were 5 weeks old and again at 9 weeks.  The first time we flew on an airplane and you did great.  You never fussed or got upset, just ate & slept!  Everyone was SO excited to meet you, you were loved immediately.  The second trip we drove (and surprised everyone!) and although it was VERY long, you did so great.  You slept a lot, but also spent lots of time looking at your favorite blanket and at the toys hanging from your seat.



You started sleeping through the night pretty early - the first time was at Grandma & Grandpa Wheeler's and you were around 8 or 9 weeks old.  Every once in a while you wake up at 3 or 4 am and need your diaper changed or to be swaddled again (you love to be all swaddled up in your blanket like a burrito) and then you fall asleep again til' about 6 or 6:30 am.



Our experience having  you was an interesting one - you were 9 days overdue and did not want to come out of my belly.  I think you were warm and cozy and just wanted to stay put!  Once you arrived you were so calm - you barely made noise and just let your daddy hold you.



We brought you home when you were 3 days old and you were so good from the very beginning.  That first night was a bit rough, you cried a lot and we took turns pacing the floor with you in our room.  I even fell asleep standing up for a quick minute!  We had so much wonderful time together as a family, and Meme was visiting until you were 6 days old and Grandma & Grandpa Wheeler came down for a day as well.  You slept most of the time for the first couple of months.



At about 10 weeks you were completely eating formula and boy did you start to fill out and gain weight then!  Even though you were almost 9 lbs when you were born, we never could figure out where it all was.  You had little bird arms and legs and no fat on you whatsoever.  You actually dropped down to 8 lbs. 3 oz. that first week and then we spent a couple more weeks to get you back to your birth weight.  Now though (at 3.5 months) you are a big boy - very healthy with an extra chin and chubby little legs!  So very adorable!



We just picked out your first daycare that you will go to because your daddy got a new job.  You will start at a KinderCare next week which I am having a very hard time coping with!  I love knowing you are home safe with daddy.  But, it has to happen so you will go there next week.



More than anything, I want you to know how wonderful & amazing you already are and how much your dad & I adore and love you.  You are a blessing in our lives and we just can't imagine life without you.



Love,
Your Mommy
June 2009

1 comment: